The first TED Conference was held in Monterey, California in 1984, and in 2014 TED celebrated its 30th birthday. The TEDx concept, on the other hand, wasn’t launched until 2009 when TEDxUSC held the first TEDx event on March 23, 2009. At the time no one could predict if the idea of hosting locally organized “TED-like” events would take off, but after five years the results are impressive, with over 11,000 events held and over 52,000 talks posted.
TEDx events by the numbers: 2014
- 2,540 TEDx events happened around the world
- 1,255 cities hosted one or more TEDx event
- 137 countries hosted one or more TEDx event
TEDx events by the numbers: All time
- 11,469 events have happened around the world
- 2,594 cities around the world have hosted one or more TEDx event
- 166 countries have hosted one or more TEDx event
Just like the main TED Conference, videos are created for each of the speakers and performers who take the stage at a local TEDx event, and these videos are freely shared around the world on the TEDx YouTube channel.
TEDx Talks by the numbers: 2014
- 219,267,189 views of talks on the TEDxTalks YouTube channel
- 15,603 talks added to the TEDxTalks YouTube channel
- 38 talks featured on TED.com
TEDx Talks by the numbers: All time
- 413,940,638 views of talks on the TEDxTalks YouTube channel
- 52,480 talks on the TEDxTalks YouTube channel
- 3,047 talks transcribed by volunteers in TED’s Open Translation Project
- 6,831 talks translated by volunteers in TED’s Open Translation Project
- 308 talks featured on TED.com
So how has TEDxSanDiego faired in the five years it’s been around? To date we’ve featured over 100 speakers, and their videos have been viewed over 2 million times. We invite you to join us for TEDxSanDiego 2015, October 17th!